Amid complaints about “an earthy or musty taste and odor,” OWASA says its water is safe to drink.
According to a news release from the town of Carrboro, the smelly water, which “several dozen customers” have complained about in the past week, is being caused by algae growing in the Cane Creek Reservoir and University Lake.
“Although OWASA’s treatment process removes algae, some organic compounds may remain in the drinking water that can cause earthy or musty taste and odor,” the statement says.
To correct the issue, OWASA has made treatment changes, including using more powdered activated carbon, which is commonly used for this purpose.
“Treated water leaving OWASA’s Jones Ferry Road Water Treatment Plant in Carrboro has returned to near normal taste and odor quality, but some water with taste and odor still remains in OWASA’s network of 380 miles of drinking water pipes and its water storage tanks,” the statement says.…